Whale Watching Tours Cairns
Whale Watching Tours Cairns season July – August! There are few more emotional or moving experiences in nature than viewing Humpback Whales up close in their natural environment.
Taking the opportunity to see these magnificent creatures will leave you with memories lasting a life time. The Humpback Whale season in Cairns is at it’s peak from July to August. This forms part of an annual migration of approximately 4000 whales escaping bracing cold conditions in Antarctica to rear their young in the warmer waters of Australia’s east coast. Researchers believe approximately 2000 of these Whales make the 10,000km round trip to the Cairns region annually. Reef Magic Cruises pioneered dedicated Whale Watching Tours in the far north region, commencing operation in July 2009 as the only company offering this unique experience. In our first season we boasted a 99% success rate with whale encounters on all but one departure making this activity a reliable nature tour option for Cairns.
Itinerary A perfect half day option, tours depart daily at 09:30am and last 3-3.5 hours.
- 09:00 Check-in at the Reef Magic Cruises counter inside the Cairns Reef Fleet Terminal, 1 Spence Street Cairns.
- 09:30 Depart Marlin Jetty Cairns. On most days Whales are spotted within 30-45 minutes of leaving Cairns.
- 13:00 Return to Cairns
A 13:30 departure may also operate on days where demand exceeds the capacity of the morning tour, for sole charters or for groups of 20 or more passengers. Coach transfers are available at additional charge from all Cairns city and northern beaches accommodation. Pick-up time and cost will be notified at time of booking. Cost
- Adults: $99.00
- Children (4-14 years): $79.00
- Family (2Ad,2Ch): $277.00
Your tour includes
- 3-3.5 hours of Whale Watching activities
- Comprehensive commentary on the biology and habits of Humpback Whales
- Excellent photo opportunities and professional photos available for purchase for our on board photographer.
- Use of spotter aircraft in the event Whales are hard to locate
- Morning Tea/Coffee and biscuits are included. Additional snacks, chips, chocolates and a licensed bar is also available on board.
Whale sighting guarantee As with all nature based activities there is a certain element of risk involved with wildlife sightings. In the rare event Whales are not spotted passengers are invited to join us again free of charge on the next available tour. What to bring Camera, Hat, sunscreen, sunglasses (polarized lens is best), spare change or card for any on-board purchases.